What We Do

My photo
We are chasers of trophy fish (Leviathans if you will). We devote as much time as we can to the thrill of the hunt, the success, and the failure of fishing the waters of Northern Minnesota. We are stewards of the land and water. Conservation is a top priority to us because the future of tomorrow is what we decide today. Catch-Photo-Release is practiced along with selective harvest.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Opener

 2012 Minnesota Walleye Opener found me in the Grand Rapids (MN) area fishing "The Mighty Mississippi" with my good friend AJ. We have been opening there for roughly the last 10 years, with some true "leviathans"coming from her depths.
 This year was no exception, with AJ's first fish of 2012 stretching the tape to a healthy 28 1/2 inches!!After a few pics she was released to catch again.
 High winds and water levels forced us to fish areas not typical in past years,but one must adapt to the fish. A jig and minnow combo caught our fish this weekend,although our numbers weren't staggering, we did catch quality fish.
 After the weekend I was back in the Bemidji area, fishing panfish by day and "eyes" after dark.
Monday morning I found a shallow water crappie bite that produced some nice 10-14 inch crappies.The bait of choice was a 1/64th oz Lindy "Lil Nipper" jig tipped with Berkley Power Bait below a slip float.Way too much fun!! I lost count but I would guess there were 15 fish put in the boat.
The evening found me out chasing walleyes,working the shallow sand flats with shallow running stick type baits.On this evening the walleyes were most cooperative, I landed 13 and missed about as many.(I guess the old hook set is a little rusty!!) A limit of "eyes" made their way home with me as a peace offering to my very understanding wife!!

No comments:

Post a Comment