What We Do

My photo
We are chasers of trophy fish (Leviathans if you will). We devote as much time as we can to the thrill of the hunt, the success, and the failure of fishing the waters of Northern Minnesota. We are stewards of the land and water. Conservation is a top priority to us because the future of tomorrow is what we decide today. Catch-Photo-Release is practiced along with selective harvest.

Friday, July 13, 2012

Finally back !!

Hey All,
 Sorry we 've not been in of touch but extreme weather has left us dealing  with downed trees and roofers and insurance claim adjusters .YUCK!! Anyhow,I have  managed to sneak out a few times, ( not NEARLY enough)  but have manged to make the best of it.
 The past 2 weeks I have been on vacation although be it a working  one mostly, I have had the opportunity to take out my relatives from New York on their first Bluegill/Crappie trip, hoping to give my future fisherman a little exposure to catch and release and conservation of larger panfish.
 I think I had very good success as my 10 yr old nephew after 1 trip told the other 11 yr old, " That is a bull gill and that needs to swim again to protect the other fish in the lake!"not EXACTLY how I explained it but the principle stuck, well done nephew, well done.
Most of the gills have been coming off the weed edges near faster breaks using either bobber and leeches or 1/32 oz jigs and plastics.we rounded up a few 10 inch + gills but alot were between 9-10 inches. As my nephew from New York said after landing a 9+ incher, "that was the best fighter EVER".






The walleye bite was not fast and furious last week for me but we did manage to find some "eyes on off-shore structure finally, as most fish were shoreline related up to 2 weeks ago, not what I would consider the norm.Trolling stickbaits after dark in 9-12 ft near rock or transition areas from sand to rock  was the most consistent bite,with a modest 24 1/2 incher being the largest.
 As all family is gone now and reparations to our home get closer, my fishing will hopefully get back on track so I can provide a little more info and alot more pics!! I know as well as you do a picture is worth a thousand words.Tight lines to you all and teach a kid to fish please, the rewards will put a big smile on their face as well as yours!! LATER my fishing friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment