What We Do

My photo
We are chasers of trophy fish (Leviathans if you will). We devote as much time as we can to the thrill of the hunt, the success, and the failure of fishing the waters of Northern Minnesota. We are stewards of the land and water. Conservation is a top priority to us because the future of tomorrow is what we decide today. Catch-Photo-Release is practiced along with selective harvest.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

I like other fish too!!!!!

   Ok. This is Chasing Leviathans, we chase and and attempt to catch true trophy fish right? The key words here are TROPHY AND FISH! Bullheads are fish. Bullheads can reach trophy proportions right? Well, in my head they do!
   As a young angler, around 10 years old, I was introduced to bullheads. I thought they were the neatest things with fins, and I still do! Over the years I have been so wrapped up in the popular fish, i.e. Bluegills, Crappies, Bass and what have you, that I have kind of forgotten about the bullhead. Sure, it's not super technical, advanced, need a million dollar sponsor type operation but, it's still fishing and still looking for the biggest, baddest, dude in the lake. As a matter of fact, it has been some of the most relaxing fishing I have done in a long time! I really needed this relaxing outing too.
   Fishing for bullheads is very simple. I have been looking for weedbeds, preferably cabbage, on main lake points. I anchor the boat in 10-12 feet of water and rig up a 6 ft St. Croix ultralight panfish rod with a size 4 aberdeen hook, some splitshot sinkers, and thread on a big, fat, juicy nightcrawler. With a nice soft cast towards the outside face of the weedbed, I let the crawler rest on the bottom and wait. The bite comes hard and fast! The ultralight rod tip acts as a spring bobber, much like in ice fishing. When that rod tip starts dancing, grab the handle and hang on!









   I love all the fish Minnesota offers! I relived some childhood memories, and had loads of fun! I had so much fun that I went out twice in one week after these giants! I'm hoping to get one that qualifies for a Minnesota Master Angler award this summer. For this species of bullhead pictured, the Brown Bullhead, I need one 20" or bigger. This lake has the potential!

Giant fish aren't always the pretty and most popular ones, but giants none the less! All these big boys were released!

No comments:

Post a Comment