What We Do

My photo
We are chasers of trophy fish (Leviathans if you will). We devote as much time as we can to the thrill of the hunt, the success, and the failure of fishing the waters of Northern Minnesota. We are stewards of the land and water. Conservation is a top priority to us because the future of tomorrow is what we decide today. Catch-Photo-Release is practiced along with selective harvest.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sheep Hearder!!!

   Yes, another late entry...I'm trying to stay on top of things but, it's been so busy at work this summer, I just haven't been able to keep up. I'll keep trying!

   June 14th, I set out after work to fish some walleyes with a good friend, Bill Hendricks. Bill is a very good walleye angler on his home lake and seems to have them walters dialed in at all times. Early in the year, until July, he slip floats walleyes with a plain hook and leech on main lake points that are adjacent to deep water. We usually anchor in 14 feet of water, cast to 11, with the leech 1 foot off the bottom...works real good!

   On this night we did catch some walleyes, nothing huge but, some good fish for a meal. The real treat came when I set into a very large sheepshead or freshwater drum! I knew within a few seconds that what was on the recieving end of my slip float set up was not a walleye! The drag was singing a sweet and long tune! Bill had ask me if I wanted to cut my line and I said with a confused chatter in voice, "Are you nuts!", "Any fish that can do this is worthy of battle to the end." Bill, did not seem amused. He did however, do a great job netting the biggest sheepshead I have ever caught so far!


18 pounds 5 ounces!
Released

   Only a few, and I mean a very few, anglers around my area target these hard fisghting behemoths! Well, its safe to say that I now am one of those few you will go on the hunt for them! Just way too much fun for this guy to pass up.  I will admit that I don't know much about the habits of sheepshead but, I will be figuring it out for the rest of the summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment